Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Healthy Diet

The book I am reading addresses the problem of rushing through the emotional process of divorce. The secret of healing is time. In our fast food, instant gratification world, we are ill-equipped to properly heal. Patience is a foreign concept to most all living in the 21st century, and to the computer generation, it is hardly even a concept. Being patient with pain is uncomfortable for all humans past and present, but especially to those of us that have never had to wait for basic necessities. No more library card catalogues, we have endless amounts of resources at the click of a mouse. Safe ( or fairly safe) water is a available at the twisting of a knob or the twisting of a bottle cap (for the skeptics of the government water standards). Microwaves have eliminated heating on a stovetop range. Remote controls have replaced a brief move to the TV set. Ipods have efficiently reduced the one minute process of changing a CD. Now you only have to wait ten to 15 seconds to hear a different artist. Prepackaged cookie dough has eliminated the timeful process of baking from scratch. There is not much I have to wait on or for. God is the only thing that forces me to be patient. He forces me to stop and deal with the innermost parts of my heart. It seems, as I evaluate my relationship with Him, I often want to make Him too a part of my fast fix lifestyle. I expect Him to be a fast food God. He is not and will never be. He refuses to give into my tantrums or questions as to why He doesn't fix the situation NOW. What a great thing -- A God claiming He stays the same (past, present, and future) and proving it true. He will not conform to the times. He will not be an instant gratifier. He is not a fast food God. I am getting healthy because of it-- the kind of healthy that comes from fixing the problem instead of masking it. No prescriptions for me today. I'll try the natural cure first.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU'RE GREAT, and VERY STRONG!!!
Keep the Faith!!

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are awesome! You are starting to see what He wants you to learn and know from all you are dealing with, and at the same time, you are sharing it with others so that we may learn from your experience. Remember God will never give you anything you can not handle. You have many brothers and sisters in Christ! Keep smiling!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article by a sweet young lady. Remember that God is always there just move over out of the fast lane.
You hit the nerve for many of us of wanting something to be instant without a waiting period.

Remember Isa 40:31

Arley and Ruby

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, it's Eddie from the Baltic (Marco Polo).
Grrr. I am in shock and so sorry. People can make really crummy moves, to bad others are effected. God is not trying to "teach" you something by causing this (I would never teach my kids growth by hurting them). He does however, run to, and hold His hurting kids when they are harmed, and, He is THE master and making crap into ecstasy.Please email me if you would like. I'll be praying for you (and Tres). Your Texas friend (and brother in Christ) for life! Eddie

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home